Exercise helps our body stay fit and healthy, so why shouldn’t it do the same for our faces?
This question has inspired millions of people to try one of the most popular trends in natural beauty today: face yoga.
Let’s dive into the world of face yoga and learn more about how these facial exercises could help us erase the years and feel more beautiful!
What is Face Yoga?
Face yoga really is as simple as it sounds. It uses a series of exercises and acupressure points to stimulate the various muscles of the face – all 42 of them! Some are tiny and delicate, and others are larger and powerful. These muscles help us eat, drink, and communicate with each other (both through speech and our facial expressions).
Over time, our faces start to change. We think of these changes as a sign of aging, but they are really signs of overuse and underuse.
The idea is that just as we tone our bodies with exercise and stretching, we can do the same for the face. With consistent practice, face yoga exercises can help reduce aging and improve our faces’ look and feel naturally.
What are the Benefits of Face Yoga?
• Reduced wrinkles, sagging, and other signs of aging
The most common reason people start practicing face yoga is to feel younger and reduce wrinkles, sagging, and aging skin. Face yoga exercises work below the skin’s surface (the muscles and fascia) to plump the face from the “inside” out.
• Improved facial muscle tone
Face yoga gives the entire face a workout, and thus enhances the overall structure of our face. You may also notice the ability to have a broader range of expressions.
• Isolate and improve desired areas
Do you wish you had stronger cheekbones, brighter eyes, or a lifted brow? Face yoga can help. Targeting those muscles of the face can enhance or highlight your best features.
• Better blood circulation through the face and head
Healthy, glowing skin starts with good blood flow. Like cosmetic acupuncture, exercises for the facial muscles bring a rush of fresh blood and oxygen to the skin. This increased blood flow improves healing, reduces inflammation, and promotes health on a cellular level.
• Enhanced focus and reduced stress
Most people don’t start a face yoga practice to be more productive, but it’s a welcome side effect! Face yoga exercises stimulate many different acupuncture points along the face and neck that are traditionally used to boost focus and clarity, reduce brain fog and fatigue, and relieve stress.
• Reduced pain, headaches, and sinus issues
While there isn’t enough research to say for sure, face yoga may also have other health benefits. These exercises could help reduce issues like headaches, TMJ, tinnitus, sinus congestion, and other head, face, and neck issues.
How to Do Face Yoga
Inspired to try face yoga for yourself? Here are a few simple tips to get you started:
1. Start with a clean face.
2. Practice face yoga twice per day, once in the morning and once before bed.
3. Sit up straight for your practice, preferably in front of a mirror.
4. If you’re a beginner, start with poses that work the bigger face muscles. Then, move into toning the smaller muscles as you become more comfortable with isolating movements.
5. Practice 4-5 poses per session for about 30 seconds to 1 minute each.
6. Breathe slowly and deeply as you do each pose.
7. Stay consistent. Face yoga can be challenging! Many of these exercises may feel unnatural. Don’t get discouraged. The key to success with face yoga is practice and consistency!
3 Face Yoga Exercises that Work
1. Total Face Glow-Up
This simple pose brings healthy blood flow to the entire face. It is a great way to start your face yoga practice.
• Open your jaw (as you would during a yawn) and feel the space open in your cheeks.
• Keeping your forehead muscles still, roll your eyes up from eye-level to the ceiling.
• Hold for 10 seconds, taking slow deep breaths.
• Repeat two more times.
2. Forehead Release
This pose targets the forehead to release any tension or frowning. It’s also a great energy and mood-boosting move!
• Create a downward V-shape on the forehead and pull up slightly.
• With relaxed shoulders, tilt your chin up slightly and take deep breaths for 10 seconds.
• Then, slide your palms down the sides of your face, close your eyes, and feel the stress melt.
• Repeat two more times.
3. Clear Eyes
This exercise stimulates the delicate muscles of the under-eye to reduce wrinkles and brighten the eyes.
• Make a “C” shape with your hand and place it around your eyes. Your index fingers will rest above the eyebrow, and your thumb will rest on the side of your nose.
• With relaxed shoulders and your forehead still, open your eyes wide. Press your index finger into the forehead firmly to prevent the forehead muscles from activating. Hold for 5 seconds.
• Now, squint the eyes five times, then close your eyes for a few seconds.
• Repeat two more times on this side, then practice three times on the other side.
Where Can I Learn Face Yoga?
Face Yoga has become a popular way to enhance beauty naturally, which has led to an influx of face yoga instructors and resources. Here are a few of our favorites:
Face Yoga + Cosmetic Acupuncture = A Match Made in Beauty Heaven
Face yoga and cosmetic acupuncture have one significant thing in common: they use the beauty and natural potential you already possess to create amazing and lasting results.
At The Beauty Within, we love to incorporate at-home exercises or tips that help to boost the results you see from your acupuncture treatments. Add face yoga to your arsenal of at-home beauty tools like facial gua sha and jade rolling.
With this holistic approach to skincare, you can expect to see even fewer wrinkles, an improved facial structure, better overall skin tone, and radiant, glowing skin.
Ready to tap into your beauty potential with a tailored holistic beauty plan? Book your natural beauty consultation today!